Wednesday, 17 December 2008

Toolishness is Foolishness

I am contemplating the idea of gadgets.  One of the main purposes for technical gadgets is to make life easier (Or so the advertisements say).  The gadgets that come to mind are the iphone, PDA's, ipod touch, and laptops.  I wonder whether too many gadgets are a good thing or a bad thing.  

Me being the complete gadget king I would say that you can never have enough gadgets.  But reflecting on what I have purchased over the years I have probably been through about 4 MP3 players, 3 different laptops, 5 phones and numerous other toys which I thought would enhance my life in some way.  Unfortunately looking back, it kind of hasn't happened :)

So I am thinking from an educational perspective, what happens???? Is toolishness, foolishness? Do you need to try the tools before you know whether they are going to do the job or not?  Will kids make do with the tools that they already have?  Will the tools be nothing more than gadgets with no educational worth?  And will gadgets last the test of time?

2 comments:

Dave Winter said...

Well I have a view on gadgets being they "just are". As an individual entity they may or may not provide a huge benefit and infact they almost inevitably come with an implementation dip where productivity drops. The question I have around gadgets and access is around the ability to switch off. The different proposals etc all established by use of online tools and software(can we consider this a gadget?) have driven me to a confused standstill as xmas approaches. Toolishness however I see as enevitable for many as we seek to achieve what we can't with out these avenues to extend thoughts communicate etc. Anyway that is me time for bed and to switch off my new favorite gadget this tablet pc.

Mark Craven said...

Talking of gadgets here is the link to the firmware upgrade for your vodem, enjoy

http://www.mobilenetworks.co.nz/VMCLite_E220_3_3_6_113_with_firmware.zip